Is a Drug Pump Right for You?
The treatment option that will work best for you depends on your type of pain, how severe it is, and how you respond to pain treatment.
It might be right for you if:
- Other treatment options have failed to adequately provide pain relief or produce uncomfortable side effects
- Your doctor understands what is causing your chronic pain
- Further surgeries are not recommended
- You don’t have a serious, untreated dependence on pain medication
- You have passed a psychological evaluation
- You don’t have medical issues that would make surgery difficult
- You have had a successful screening test
After your doctor confirms that you are a candidate for a Medtronic drug pump, he or she may decide to perform a screening test that will allow you to temporarily experience the therapy.
Participation in the test allows you and your doctor to evaluate how well the treatment may work for you. Talk to your doctor about what to expect from this therapy.
During this test, your doctor may choose one of two procedures:
- Single injection – A single injection of a small amount of medication into your spinal column, similar to an epidural injection
- Continuous infusion – A continuous infusion of medication is delivered to the area around the spinal cord through a temporary, implanted catheter (this test takes place over several days)
Information on this site should not be used as a substitute for talking with your doctor.
Always talk with your doctor about diagnosis and treatment information.
Last updated: 22 Sep 2010